Sexuality is an important part of who we are.
- Sexuality encompasses sex, sexual orientation (who we are sexually attracted to), gender identities and roles, eroticism, pleasure, intimacy, and reproduction.
- Sexuality is experienced and expressed in our thoughts, values, behaviours, fantasies, desires, beliefs and attitudes.
- Our sexuality is personal and can be influenced by facets such as our family, culture, social group, religion, and/or spiritual beliefs.
- At times, components of our sexuality may not align; for example, our religious beliefs may not support our sexual fantasies or notions of pleasure.
Things to think about:
- What would you identify as the different components of your sexuality?
- From the following, which have had a strong influence on your sexuality: family, culture, social group, religion and or spiritual beliefs?
- Are there aspects of your sexuality that make you feel uncomfortable? If so, how can you effectively address that discomfort?