Suicide, although it is rare (about 5/100,000 Canadian teenagers), is one of the leading causes of death in young people.
Most people who attempt suicide have a mental illness and effectively treating that mental illness is one of the most important steps in reducing the risk of dying from suicide.
- Intense hopelessness or sadness
- Preoccupation with death
- Loss of interest in regular activities
- Withdrawal from family and friends
- Talking about what it will be like when they’re gone
- Giving away valued possessions
For More Information:
Right by You - Bringing Canadians together to better support youth mental health.